LG Solar has introduced a high-efficiency bifacial solar panel with a peak capacity of 300 watts and a total output capacity equivalent to 375W. The 60-cell NeON 2 BiFacial panel is the newest in LG’s ‘Neon’ series and will be available in Australia from Q3 of this year.
The introduction of a bi-facial model is a milestone for the Korean company, whose standard modules have been popular in Australia for several years. The panel’s translucent backsheet allows light to pass through the front side of the module and be reflected onto the back – increasing energy yields by as much as 25% in the right conditions.
Markus Lambert, head of LG Solar Australia said that the development of bifacial cells in a translucent panel product had taken LG’s technology “to the next level”.
“The bifacial cells can generate more power within a consistently small area, helping to boost efficiency and reduce the overall cost of a PV system. The LG NeON 2 BiFacial module raises the bar for the solar industry once more taking competition to the next level,” Lambert said.
There are a number of features of the Neon 2 panels that make them noteworthy:
- They are highly efficient. With a total peak output of 300W, the Neon 2 series panels are among the most efficient 60-cell modules on the market. This means more energy output per square meter of roof space – an increasingly attractive prospect in light of the growing interest in battery storage in Australia, which means a bigger solar system on many roofs will be desirable, to harvest the sunlight during the day to use at night.
- They are two-sided. Double-sided (or bifacial) panels are capable of generating electricity from both sides for a total output capacity up to 375W. For installations where the panels have some space behind them (e.g. solar car ports, ground-mount installations or rooftop systems with panels on tilt frames), this translates into a boost to energy yields. In some situations, panels may even be mounted upright to collect morning and afternoon sun with opposite sides.
- Better performance in cloudy conditions. Because the rear side of the panels also produce electricity when exposed to light, Neon 2 panels produce more energy than other panels under cloud cover – as much as 43% on the right reflective surface and ideal installation conditions.
- Improved aesthetics. LG’s ‘Cello’ technology – which employs twelve thin wire busbars instead of a smaller number of thicker ones – is responsible not only for boosting the efficiency of the panels, but also for their sleek appearance.
- The LG NeOn2 range also has one of the best wind load ratings of any panel in Australia with 6000PA front load and 5400PA rear load.
The product is backed by a local LG 12 year manufacturer’s warranty (parts and labour).
Alongside the new bifacial module, LG also announced the introduction of a new 60-cell 320W black-framed panel, which will also be available in Q3.
Interested parties can inquire at LGEnergy.com.au or via email on email@example.com.
© 2016 Solar Choice Pty Ltd