VoltLogic is a ‘4 quadrant’ energy management device developed and manufactured by Renewable Energy Solutions Australia Holdings Ltd. Going far beyond the simple function of an inverter in a small-scale renewable energy generator (i.e., that of converting DC electricity into AC), VoltLogic is an all-in-one, expandable energy management system which can simultaneously perform the functions of an inverter, a STATCOM, and a battery bank charger/manager. VoltLogic promises to help address some of the challenges associated with distributed generation systems, whose numbers have grown tremendously in recent years, as well as facilitate a higher degree of energy independence for homes and businesses.
There are many aspects to VoltLogic’s functionality, most of which can be employed either individually or in combination with others. This flexibility makes VoltLogic one of the most versatile energy management devices available, with 6 ‘modes’ of functionality.
1. STATCOM: As a STATCOM, VoltLogic maintains electricity quality on low-voltage networks, regulating voltage, stabilising the grid, and providing power factor correction. This functionality will be of use in situations where grid stability is an issue–e.g. where distributed energy systems (such as solar PV and small-scale wind) are deployed along ‘single wire earth return’ (SWER) lines in regional areas, making smoothing the process for homeowners to get approval to install solar systems and mitigating the problems that distributed generation systems can sometimes cause for utilities.
2. Renewable energy system power management: VoltLogic serves the function of an advanced inverter, handling DC inputs from one or more renewable energy generation units–solar PV, wind, etc–and directing the power as appropriate into a home/business or the electrical grid. VoltLogic will also have the ability to limit power exported to the grid–another key issue that a number of utilities are currently seeking solutions for.
3. Peak demand shifting: VoltLogic may offer benefits to utilities looking to reduce peak demand on the grid by itegrating with battery storage to export power to the grid when electricity demand is high.
4. Uninterruptible Power Supply: VoltLogic can act as a battery manager for individual households with energy storage devices, ensuring that homes are never without power–even in the event of a blackout. Batteries are charged using power from the grid; this stored power can also be used to avoid the need to purchase power from the grid at expensive peak-time rates.
5. Hybrid mode: All of the above functions can also operate concurrently.
6. Phase balancing: VoltLogic is also capable of evening out disparities between phases in situations where more than a single phase is in use.
VoltLogic benefits to residential solar PV system owners
-VoltLogic can be configured to manage a number of energy sources in addition to solar panels–including the electricity grid, small-scale wind-generators, and a battery bank. This means a higher degree of energy independence for both grid-connected and off-grid solar systems.
-Since VoltLogic is programmable, grid-connected system owners who use VoltLogic can arrange for the optimum value to be extracted from the different energy sources that are available. For example, solar power can be used during the day when appliances are running, or used to charge batteries if no one is around to use the power. Power may also be scheduled to be exported to the grid in locations where generators are financially rewarded for doing so. Off-grid system owners may use whatever resource is available–solar, wind, genset, battery bank–or prioritise between them when all are available.
-VoltLogic has the ability to limit power exported to the grid whilst also managing the power that is being exported (voltage regulation). In areas where grid stability and high voltage issues are of concern to utilities, VoltLogic can make it easier to get permission to connect to the grid.
VoltLogic benefits to businesses & facilities
–All the benefits that apply to PV system owners also apply to commercial enterprises & industrial facilities
-VoltLogic also offers functions that would be particularly useful where heavy equipment is in use: power factor correction, voltage regulation, and phase balancing.
VoltLogic benefits to utilities
–STATCOM functionality & phase balancing for managing power quality
–Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
-Where installed in sufficient numbers, VoltLogic offers an avenue for peak demand management, especially when energy storage is widely deployed
–Voltage regulations in rural areas & areas with high PV system penetration, potentially mitigating the need for costly infrastructure upgrades
Utilities are experiencing voltage rise issues in areas with high penetration of PV, and also in rural areas. There are mixed views on how to best manage this, upgrade transformers + infrastructure which is costly or manage these rises directly though integration of a STATCOM device which can also be integrated with storage to assist in peak demand management.
Installing VoltLogic can prolong the use of existing infrastructure without the need for costly network upgrades
About Renewable Energy Solutions Australia Holdings & VoltLogic
Company Headquarters: Acacia Ridge -Brisbane, QLD
Manufacturing locations: Geelong, Brisbane, Gold Coast
History in the industry: 4 years
If you are interested in learning more about VoltLogic, please contact Micheal Le Messurier at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0416 840 579.
© 2013 Solar Choice Pty Ltd
I touch you about your financing search offer:
I wish we were discussing whether this is always the actuality
Please reach out to VoltLogic / RES Australia directly about this. Their contact details are in the article.
Comments are closed.