Solar panels are a popular investment option for Perth homes and businesses, even without a strong state-sponsored feed-in tariff. Because of the high cost of electricity across Western Australia, the business case for installing solar panels in Perth remains compelling. This article is an overview of what needs to be considered when going solar in Perth, WA.
The advantages of installing solar panels in Perth
There are basically 3 reasons why solar panels have gained such enormous popularity across Australia–including in Perth.
1) Perth is blessed with a healthy amount of sun. Solar panels have proven to be a popular money-saving options across countries with significantly less sun than Australia–Germany is the undisputed world leader, and even the UK has a sizeable amount of solar. The more sun that shines on a region, the more power that solar panels can potentially generate there. Australia has a massive amount of solar energy potential.
2) Solar panel prices have dropped significantly in recent years, owing to both global and local factors–meaning good returns on investment. Solar Choice’s monthly Solar PV Price Index shows average solar PV system prices for all the capital cities in Australia besides Darwin. System prices on offer are broken down by city (Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Hobart, Adelaide, and Perth) and by system capacity (from 1.5kW to 5kW).
3) Electricity prices are rising across Australia–and Western Australia is no exception. In combination with undertaking energy-saving and energy efficiency measures, investing in solar panels is a good way for a Perth home or business to reduce their dependence on the electrical utilities and cut their power bills.
Thanks to these 3 factors, the home or business that invests in a solar panel system could see returns on investment of well over 10%–if the conditions are right.
Request a free Solar Quote Comparison and get a free look at the Perth solar panel market. Call Solar Choice on 1300 78 72 73 or fill out the form to the right of this page.
Who should install solar panels in Perth?
Western Australia’s feed-in tariff scheme is now closed to new applicants, but that doesn’t mean your home or business can’t benefit from installing a system. Solar panels now offer the most benefit to those whose homes are occupied during the day, or whose business operates during daylight hours.
Perth homes and businesses who go solar need to use the solar power as it is being produced. This is sometimes called ‘self-consumption’, and it is essential for getting the most out of your solar panels. The present feed-in tariff rate in WA (i.e. the amount you get for solar power you don’t self-consume) is only around 8c per kilowatt-hour (kWh, or unit) of power–electricity purchased from the grid ordinarily costs more than twice that. Those who opt to install solar panels in Perth should endeavour to use them as much as possible.
Solar panels for businesses in Perth and across WA: Solar Choice can help you get the best deal
Solar Choice has assisted hundreds of businesses make an informed choice of solar installer across Australia, and many of them have been in Western Australia. Solar Choice Commercial manages tenders for a range of clients and a range of system sizes. If you’re interested, get in touch with our Commercial Tender Management team (contacts below) or fill out a request for a request for a Commercial Solar Quote comparison.
90kW across multiple facilities for East Pilbara Shire, WA (Tender managed by Solar Choice Commercial)
Top image: 80kW solar installation on commercial rooftop in Derby, WA. (Read more about this project)
© 2013 Solar Choice Pty Ltd
Latest posts by James Martin II (see all)
- New Scientist on the battery storage revolution: We can “all be power brokers” - July 27, 2015
- Can you go off-grid with solar and energy storage? - July 24, 2015
- Solar-plus-storage: How much battery capacity do you need? - July 15, 2015